Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"The Big Fire of '21"



This is a piece I've just completed for a juried exhibition at the Aiken Center for the Arts. Aiken is celebrating it's 175th birthday and the exhibition is a retrospective of Aiken's history. I had to do a little Aiken research to come up with an idea for a painting.
One of my friends who lives in Aiken told me there had been a big fire at some point in Aiken's past so I decided to look into that a little further and I found out that the Big Fire of Aiken occurred in downtown Aiken on Oct, 26th 1921......I decided that lots of artists will be thinking of the equestrian history of Aiken and I liked the idea of doing something entirely different......I used old newspaper articles, hand tinted tissue paper and acrylic paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment