Saturday, October 31, 2009

Writer's Week Collages







MAY:
I'm getting ready for a trip to Ireland that centers around a group art exhibition I've been invited to participate in. The exhibit will take place during a literary festival held in Listowel, Co. Kerry, Ireland called 'Writer's Week" (www.writersweek.ie) . Olive Stack, a wonderful artist and gallery owner from Listowel, graciously invited me to be a part of the exhibition. www.olivestackgallery.com

Over the past nine years I've visited Ireland annually and Listowel has become my Irish "hometown", so to speak. This small town in North Kerry has a rich literary history and has produced a number of well-known authors and playwrights over the years. One of the most beloved was John B. Keane who died in 2002. In deciding what to contribute to the Writer's Week exhibition I decided to do three collages based upon three of John B. Keane's most well-known plays "Sive", "Big Maggie" and "The Field...all having major themes of life, death and greed. The fourth collage pays homage to Writer's Week and the wealth of authors Ireland has produced.......the Writer's Week piece is the black & white & tan piece. These collages contain actual script from the plays, and papers that I created using a variety of techniques, as well as symbolic objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment